Facts about Boston:
- Boston University was the first university in the United States to award a Ph.D. degree to a woman.
- The Boston Celtics have won more NBA Championships (16) than any other team in league history.
- The population of the city of Boston proper is 589,141 , making it the largest city in Massachusetts.
- Between 1994 and 2001, 7,888 trees were planted in Boston by the Boston Parks and Recreation Department.
- Boston is the sixth largest metropolitan area in the US, and one of North America's largest media markets.
- Boston and Cambridge together have a population of about 700,000. In addition there are about 250,000 college and university students. This means that about 25% of the total number of people in the two cities are students.